What Does That Weird Goblin Machine Do?
Roll a d20! See what it does!
1 Dehydrates potions into pills.
2 Turns any humanoid race into another humanoid race at random.
3 Turns any humanoid race into a goblin.
4 Creates harmless cattle of random flavor.
5 Attacks as level 3 fighter. Three slicing blade attacks as +5 daggers.
6 Spits out 10 very confused pythons.
7 Answers questions about the dungeon/region. just like goblins, it always says the opposite of the truth.
8 Demon vending machine. Steals money, insults you, makes bargains.
9 A mechanized exo-skeleton that doubles your strength and defenses, but uses you to its own ends (usually attacks the party). you are not being controlled mentally–just physically.
10 Distracts you from a much simpler machine in the room–one that doesn’t even look like a machine, but allows time or planar travel.
11 DC 10 Wisdom save or be charmed into trying to fix it for 1d4 months, sparing no expense to get it home, buy parts, etc, however it cannot be fixed.
12 Processes corpses into delicious meat products.
13 Circumsizes titans.
14 Lays large eggs. what hatches? Nobody knows!
15 Dispenses a small cloud of furious killer bees.
16 Tells bad jokes abruptly and loudly.
17 Teleconferences with similar machine on far-away planet. 1D4: 1-aliens 2-faeries 3- demons 4-mirror universe versions of yourselves.
18 Teleports party to mirror universe where alignments are opposite (and the shaved have beards).
19 Mends armor and weapons, then eats them all and melts them down into ingots.
20 Best cook on this side of planet.
Ten Terrible Potions
Roll a d10! Have a sip!
1 fizzy bang
explosive gas. if lit, does 2d8 damage. can be shaken and thrown for half damage.
2 sticky syrup
sticky tar. -2 to initiative, move at 1/4 normal rate. Covers 10′ x 10′ square area.
3 earth shake
shake well then drink. causes minor earthquake.
4 hair tonic
hair growth. will double length of all your hair. doesn’t cure baldness. 2 × 0 = 0
5 charlie’s potion
boil 10 scrolls with herbs. reduce inky liquid. drink to be a supreme expert on one subject for one day (can be in another language). then know nothing of it at all ever again.
6 northern marmelade
eat this and you cannot get lost for 2 days. after, you will be directionless and disoriented for 6 hours.
7 cahetch hup
a few drops of this elixir makes any meal taste delicious. does not prevent poison, but does prevent disease from spoiled food.
8 ear honey
three drops of this in the ear and you’ll be hearing ‘voices’ all day. (crazy voices)
9 fake fever elixir
can be mixed with various berries and herbs to simulate almost any natural disease for up to a week. duration depends on how much you drink.
10 cetacean potion
potion of whale summoning calls d100 whales to the nearest saltwater location. you can communicate with them and ask for help (you are aquaman without the water breathing).
101 DnD Quest Ideas!
PC’s have done something completely unexpected? Roll a d100 and keep the adventure going!
1. A minotaur was victimized by a wizard, and now he will hire you to lead him through his own labyrinth to his treasures.
2. A painter has been using magic to easily duplicate his own paintings to sell as originals. But a fowl art critic with a penchant for theatrics is on to him and has sworn to reveal the secret unless he is permitted to marry the artist’s only daughter. The artist hires you to eliminate the critic who knows too much.
3. The sun set 26 hours ago. The world is in panic. The Drow are invading, and only the heroes can stop them.
4. A madman who thinks he is a prophet is slaughtering the livestock of the local farmers in the hopes that it will bring forth Ibanirox, the Night Eater, a long forgotten (and made up) deity of immense power. The farmers offer the group 20 gold or three cows per adventurer.
5. A theatre director hires the party to keep his lead actor (who is marked for death by a crime syndicate) alive long enough to perform in front of a powerful monarch. The assassins attempt to make his death scene a real one.
6. A tribe of kobolds has taken up residence in the sewers and have been hunting dogs and cats as food.
7. The pc’s are sent after a powerful artifact/weapon that will make their patron unstoppable.
8. The pc’s are hired by a Gensai sorceress to recover her mephit familiar from an enemy.
9. A mysterious stranger tips the PC’s off to an assassination plot, even giving them detailed plans stolen from the assassin. After the attempt the pc’s are implicate and the detailed plans found on their person or in their room.
10. Mind flayers are performing perverse rituals on local orc tribes and granting them psionic abilities. The party must find and destroy them before psionic orcs destroy the kingdom.
11. Ancient prophecies predict that a star will fall at a precise location on a certain day. Whoever is first to grasp the star will receive a wish. Various dark factions camp and await the coming of the star, intent on making their wish.
12. A devil/caster/demon/warlock has set a fire using hell fire and it can only be quenched by the waters from a spring in Celestia
13. A Devil prince coerces you to sabotage the wedding of one of his political rivals.
14. A besieged city holds a tournament to mock their enemies. The King asks you to sneak into the city and win the tournament to demoralize them.
15. A wizard believes he has discovered the location of the wreckage of a legendary battleship, but so has his rival. You must recover the arcane weaponry from the wreck before the opposing team does.
16. You are hired to perform a filibuster in the legislative body of a monstrous nation. It proves dangerous.
17. An ancient and complex prison facility for extraplanar criminals is malfunctioning. The party must repair it as a group of imps attempt to use the facility against them.
18. The party is sent to investigate the disappearance of a missionary cleric in a vast and dark jungle. Investigation reveals that the cleric has instead been converted by the demon-worshiping jungle people and now mobilizes them against his former mission.
19. Gnolls have dug up the severed head of a lich in the desert, and it has promised them great power if they reunite him with his body.
20. A band of Drow (or similarly evil humanoids) comes to town claiming to be not evil and seeking asylum.
21. ghostly dryads haunt the grove where their tree was destroyed and they can only be put to rest if the grove is replanted.
22. A werewolf, seemingly immune to wolfsbane and silver terrorizes a village. He is in fact a barghest.
23. A ruined tower is in fact a colossal animated object.
24. A yeth hound poses as a wounded blink dog.
25. The pc’s seek an item buried within a grove sacred to a centaur tribe.
26. A delver tunneling under the city is causing earthquakes.
27. The characters are sent to a primitive island to retrieve an item/find a treasure/seek a npc. The island is filled with dinosaurs, near-humanoids, and dire animals. As the pc’s explore the island they begin to devolve as do their animal companions, mounts,familiars, etc.
28. The mayor, sheriff, high priest, have been replaced by doppelgangers.
29. A white dragon is freezing ships and carrying them off to his glacial home.
30. A major port is now home to spawning dragon turtles.
31. Dryads have taken loggers hostage.
32. All news and shipments from a dwarven stronghold have stopped, the king frees a Duergar attack.
33. Ettercaps have poisoned village children and carried them off, the pc’s know they have a limited window in which to rescue the children before they are eaten (as ettercaps like to let their dinner hang and liquefy before eating).
34. Hippogriffs, run off their mountain roosts by a red dragon, have begun devouring cattle.
35. All the townspeople in a village have contracted lycanthropy and become were-moose at the full moon. The group must discover that the alchemist upstream of the village’s water supply has been experimenting with dangerous chemicals to turn his beloved pet
albino moose, Alabaster, into a sentient best friend.
36. The pc’s break a law in an unjust and evil land while doing something good, but are later pursued by a zelekhut for their actions.
37. The elementals that power a dwarven forge have broken free and must be captured without harming them.
38. A thief tells the party about a dragon graveyard that contains the treasure of a dozen hoards, but is haunted by ghostly-dragon guardians.
39. The pc’s require the help of a lillend, but she refuses unless the party’s bard can impress her with his musical abilities.
40. Ice mephits have frozen the town’s well.
41. Merfolk are waylaying ships from traveling over a sacred coral reef.
42. A gelatinous cube, used to eat waste, has escaped the sewer and must be lured back down.
43. Drunken satyrs have carried off a number of women from the village.
44. Will o’ the Wisps are luring people to their swamp.
45. All the animals in the village have collected on a hill nearby and refused to come down.
46. A splinter cult of Drow are kidnapping townspeople and sacrificing them to a powerful aranea sorceress, they worship as an avatar of Loth.
47. The pc’s hired by a local politician that fears he will be poisoned at an upcoming banquet.
48. Thieves have stolen dragon eggs and put the entire town in jeopardy as the angry mother wreaks havoc.
49. The “haunted forest” is actually filled with awakened creatures.
50. A mage’s guild seeks thieves to steal an artifact that will hamper the use of magic. They plan to use it to control all magic in the city.
51. A stray cat taken in by the pc’s is the familiar of an enemy spell-caster.
52. Mongrelmen living under the city are demanding citizenship and full rights.
53. The local wizard’s college wants to hire the pc’s to capture some new familiars.
54. A con artist posing as a priest is fleecing peasants.
55. The pc’s must stop an angry mob from attacking a peaceful tribe of orcs.
56. A glacier has been discovered with an enormous, nightmarish creature inside and the ice is beginning to melt.
57. The pc’s are asked to serve as guardian to a young noble whose parents have been killed.
58. The pc’s must smuggle a message into a besieged city.
59. A dying dragon holds a contest to give away pieces from its hoard.
60. Lizardman-half-Mindflayers are being spotted in the marshes outside town.
61. A vigilante is killing evil criminals in town. The party is hired to capture him, while the people view him as a hero and champion of good despite his methods.
62. Something has driven all the game from the kings hunting grounds.
63. Prisoners are being sold to mindflayers.
64. Marble carved from a newfound quarry is animating.
65. The prison has been taken over by the prisoners.
66. When the well goes dry, the villagers discover a glowing portal to Sigil.
67. A wizard/engineer wants help capturing elementals to power airships.
68. A wizard polymorphed into a chimera is attacking caravans.
69. The pc’s must acquire an artifact from the hoard of a fiendish-black dragon that resides in the swamps of Othrys on the plane of Carceri.
70. People are disappearing and paintings of the missing are showing up in the inn/temple/manor.
71. Fiendish weasels are terrorizing a farmers chicken coop. The family is on the edge of hunger and ruin.
72. A group of wild elves hire the pc’s to escort their clan to a new home in the Beastlands.
73. Something is causing the dead to rise from the local cemetery.
74. After a dark omen all cure spells function as inflict spells.
75. Wererats are stealing children and infecting them with lycanthropy.
76. After a Drow priestess is hanged, women in the city begin giving birth to spiders.
77. The pc’s encounter a strange man on the road how casts a spell on them/gives them a potion, shortly after they arrive in town to see (with their arcane sight) that half the town are actually changelings.
78. A farmer finds a possessed tablet in his field and begins going on a killing rampage.
79. The city’s most powerful adventurers return from questing in a temple of Tharzidun.
80. A child has been bitten by a rare spider, and the only antidote requires some of the spiders venom.
81. A vampiric bard is dining on the finest artists in town.
82. A pc learns that his family lost a powerful legacy item to a dragon. The item is still in the dragon’s hoard.
83. The party is left to raise a brood of silver dragon wyrmlings after their mother is slain.
84. A child is possessed by a demon and must be exorcised.
85. The pc’s are shipwrecked and must build a raft to escape.
86. A child in the slums is spouting doomsday prophecies and is gathering a large following.
87. The pc’s are drugged and forced into naval service by a violent press-gang.
88. The party’s warriors are invited to participate in the alabaster cup (Com. Warrior).
89. The party is approached by a npc that claims to have detailed evidence of an assassination plot. The npc even shows them plans that he stole from the assassin. After the attempt is made, the pc’s are framed and they detailed evidence is found in their
room at the inn.
90. An awaken golem is creating an army of warforged to wipe the lands free of living beings.
91. A barbarian horde threatens to invade unless someone can defeat their leader in single combat.
92. The new mayor of a rural village is a Rakshasa.
93. A massive egg has appeared in the village square and cracks are forming.
94. Each night eerie organ music can be heard from the ruin manor on the hill; in the morning, a townsperson is missing.
95. Lightning continues to strike the same gravestone every night for the last week.
96. A wizard, pretending to be goodly, hires the pc’s to retrieve his “stolen” spell book from a rival.
97. Cultists have obtained a scroll of Crushing Fist of Spite (BoVD) and intend on releasing it on the countryside.
98. A party member’s soul has been purchased/stolen/bartered for, by Asmodeus and the party must debate the Devil lord to get it back.
99. A gnoll army sweeps from the north, their leader wields what appears to be the Triple Flail of Yeenoghu, Demon Prince of Gnolls.
100. A Cauldron of Zombie Spewing (BoVD) has been unearthed in an ancient ruin by clerics of Neurull.
101. A mad cleric has resurrected the stuffed monster in the party’s favorite inn.